Bonneville Cutthroat Trout

Bonneville Cutthroat Trout
Big Bonneville Creek

About Me

My closest fishing buddy and me call each other by our middle names when planning, wanting, or actually going out to fish. We thought it would fool our wives at first, but the first try and they figured it out. I guess we aren't so clever...but we are smarter than our wives...Look who they married and look who we married. (try that one on your wife...always works!)

NEXT TRIP: Bonneville Creek

Created by rednecktrout

* * * Redneck Trout Posts * * *

.~.~.~.~.~.~.ROLL CASTS and FLY LINES.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Saturday, March 28, 2009

Four Letter Words

Just returned from our trip to North Mountain Home Creek. Our foray to some of the desert redbanded trout creeks got put on hold due to weather. The Cutthroat Stalkers did hit the South Fork for three decent days. We really had to WORK for our FISH. Day one I only got one fish in after missing plenty and day two saw me bring two in after missing plenty.

Day three I wasn't too jacked to fish again but realized the South Fork is a tough river, although spectacular at times. I fished a couple old jaunts plus the "curse-ed" whole for the third time...each producing exactly one fish from 13" to 15". While on my way down to the curse-ed hole the third day...I decided to leave it to Emerson and Merz and head down stream. I went below a shute and crossed the river and worked up the bank. Very nice spot...I am sure I will fish there again. Came into some risers sipping midges...but it was still water and I had the sun glaring on me. They were sporadic and tough and I put them down each time I cast...but there was plenty of side riffles along the seam for about 150 yards up to the start of the shute. Half way up I switched to a size 18 BWO parachute. As I hit the sweet spot of the riffle...I pulled in a beautifully colored 19" redband. It started raining and remembering the stoneflies we had seen on the water the day before, I put on a size 10 caddis and pulled out a solid, thick 19"er again. Well that made my day and I felt like I came off conqueror.

Upon returning to the curse-ed hole...I found Emerson and Merz had both landed several fish. I caught my fifth and final fish shortly after arriving and that was it for me...Merz too. We stopped off at Beatle Bank where Emerson had landed four decent fish the day before including a 18.5". He worked his way up all the way to Hog Hole and the Slough landed three more including another 18.5". I think Emerson landed around two dozen fish for the trip (compared to my 8) including six over 18" and a 19"er to match mine. We worked hard for these fish.

While driving home to Logan I tried to block out Emerson's snoring by thinking of what we could have done to make things easier. I reflected back on our time at the curse-ed hole. We named it that because of our language as we lost several nice fish. We were casting into changing wind directions and swirling currents across and down stream with lots of different drags. Makes tough midge dry fly fishing to sipping trout. It wasn't until Emerson decided to work up the bank that we landed a lot of nice fish. Reminded me of the small pillow my mom bought be that says "A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work." Very true!

Also reminded me that there are a lot of four-letter words when you go fishing...some GOOD...some EVIL. I won't mention any four letter words which possibly could have occured at the curse-ed hole.

FISHING FOUR LETTER LISTS

My GOOD list is pretty short: FISH

My EVIL list is a little bigger: WORK, RAIN, SNOW, WIND, WIND, WIND, WIND, FLAT - TIRE, WORM, LAKE, POND, TIME, SIGN (as in "No Trespassing"), FINE

I am sure you have more...feel free to add to my list as you chime in. I forgot to add OREO and DUOS to the good list. I will update it later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jr. has a shirt that says, "A Bad Day Fishing with Dad, Beats a Good Day Shopping With Mom". My wife found it and purchased it for him.

A good 4 letter word for fishing: ABLE (as in able to go) Let us never forget that.

Glenn said...

ABLE is officially on the list!

Glenn said...

New GOOD 4 letter words: UTAH CUTT SLAM !