Bonneville Cutthroat Trout

Bonneville Cutthroat Trout
Big Bonneville Creek

About Me

My closest fishing buddy and me call each other by our middle names when planning, wanting, or actually going out to fish. We thought it would fool our wives at first, but the first try and they figured it out. I guess we aren't so clever...but we are smarter than our wives...Look who they married and look who we married. (try that one on your wife...always works!)

NEXT TRIP: Bonneville Creek

Created by rednecktrout

* * * Redneck Trout Posts * * *

.~.~.~.~.~.~.ROLL CASTS and FLY LINES.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Duos...Hydrox...or...Oreos

One of the things I like most about the remoteness of going after native trout is the need to have all your supplies avaibable after you turn off that last marked forest service, canal, farmer's field or county road. Once you turn...there is no going back to the convenience store or stocked fly shop...you are committed to fish.
Nothing is more important than having adequate food and water.
Water has never been a problem...food on the other hand...I have learned there are certain kinds I food I just don't like on a fishing trip. Namely, peanut butter sandwiches, crackers, lunch meat, bananas and lemon donuts. On the top of the list though is beef jerkey, string cheese, nuts, chips, apples, non-lemon donuts and just about any kind of cookie. On a rare occasion I get some homemade chocolate chip or snickerdoodles...but usually it is off to the store to load up the cookie supply. I love nutter butters and macaroons, but it seems like Emerson (non-lemon donut person) and myself love the "Oreo" type cookies.

I say "Oreo" type because we seldom spend money on name brand anything. The Western Family variety are called Duos, and we have each gained and appreciation...or maybe tolerance...for them mostly because they are cheap. I grew up out west...all over the west and I particularly remember buying Hydrox (Sunshine brand) cookies when we lived in Littleton, Colorado. They were great but when we moved we didn't see them again. (BREAKING NEWS...they just showed up on Logan, UT 2009). Oreos are universal and were the double chocolate cookie with creme filling bakery item of choice. I don't know what your preference is but as far as my budget goes...Duos fit the bill...as far as sentimentality and overall taste and value go...it's the Hyrdox...but the Oreos are fun because of the many varieties and appeal which they hold. I need to remember to bring all of them on the next trip and have a taste test contest...and that means I need a couple gallons of cold milk to boot.

I will probably get another poll up soon!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Costco has the greatest price on O'Berto jerky. You get two 9 ounce bags in a bundle for about $10.99. In other words...18 ounces. Compare that against what you pay for a 4 ounce bag in the local store. However, even Costco prices have risen, but it still beats the heck out of everywhere else that I have noticed.
Also, the Oreo type "do" rule, don'they? I am an Oreo guy.

Glenn said...

Okay...another vote for Oreo's. Like I said, I like the different kinds of Oreos. Never got fired up about Double Stuff, but I really like the mint ones...very good!

Anonymous said...

What happened to this website? The batteries must have went out. They must have been purhased at the dollar store. Obviously not Energizer or Duracell.

At least the fly swatter game works. I got one score that said "GREAT". Has anyone got a better score than that?

Glenn said...

I always burn up the alkaline batteries in my camera, but I have had some Rayovac batteries in there quite awhile. Anyone else had success with Rayovac?

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried Lithium (spelling) batteries? Not sure if they are supposed to be stronger. I have not looked into it, but they "do" cost more. I have heard they have less water so they are better for things like outdoor sensors in home weather stations because they are much less likely to freeze in very cold temperatures.

Glenn said...

I always go cheap and Rayovac's are usually cheaper than lithium.

I have some rechargeables that I try to have handy when go on a trip. I always throw in some alkaline batteries though just in case.